Saturday, April 5, 2008

I know I should be working, but...

this is too much fun (if you're a nerd like me anyway).

Krisa vs. Brandon vs. Emma ranked by volume of google searches:
Emma is orange, Brandon is red, Krista is blue

This is more or less a measure of name popularity over the last 5 years. I'm guessing at least one of the large Emma spikes can be traced back to the Friends episode in which Rachel had named her girl Emma (edit: The large spike at the end of 2003 immediately follows that episode). I think it is interesting to note that by search volume, Emma has us beat. By news reference volume, however, I (Brandon) win. Clearly there are more great things being done in the news by the Brandons of the world right? Or maybe infamous things I guess. Here are some extra tidbits of useless information:

The top five countries where searches originated for each name:
Emma:
1. Sweden 2. United Kingdom 3. Ireland 4. Australia 5. Finland (The US is not in the top 10)
Krista:
1. Estonia 2. Finland 3. Canada 4. United States 5. Columbia
Brandon:
1. Canada 2. United States 3. United Kingdom 4. Australia 5. Italy

Top five Cities:
Emma:
1. Stockholm, Sweden 2. Birmingham, UK 3. Brentford, UK 4. Manchester, UK 5. London, UK (Helsinki is 6th)
Krista:
1. Helsinki, Finland 2. Minneapolis, MN 3. Toronto, Canada 4. Chicago, IL 5. Los Angeles, CA
Brandon:
1. Brandon, Canada 2. Tampa, Fl 3. Winnipeg, Canada 4. Atlanta, GA 5. Dallas, TX (you might notice I cheated a little bit, I have two cities named after me - one in Canada and one near Tampa)

And finally, top five languages:
Emma:
1. Swedish 2. Finnish 3. English 4. Italian 5. French
Krista:
1. Estonian 2. Finnish 3. English 4. Dutch 5. Swedish
Brandon:
1. English 2. Spanish 3. Italian 4. French 5. Portuguese (German is the last on the list, I only had six languages search me)

Click for more Google Trend enjoyment or more on the Emma/Krista/Brandon controversy

No comments: